Where do I Begin? If you want, you can start with the first post. Once there, read through the blog by clicking "Newer Post".

Monday, July 12, 2010

The Guide - Evenings

Saturday morning, while continuing my quest for life order, I began researching some old housekeeping guides from the 1950s. Apparently one in particular has been floating around the Internet for awhile - from Housekeeping Monthly, in May of 1955.

Is there anything left to salvage from this bygone-era guide? Just in case, I want to analyze each step over the next few days.

Step 1
Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready, in time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal (especially his favorite dish) is part of the warm welcome needed.

Well, tonight, let's assume that my husband's favorite dish is tuna salad sandwiches. He does like them a lot. And I admit, I do like to have dinner ready for him if I get home first. It makes me feel like I'm doing something nice for him, and he always appreciates it. --In return, though, if he gets home before me, he'll make sure the kitchen is clean and dishes are done, and help with the dishes after dinner. Those are our roles.

Step 2
Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch-up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair, and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.

Well, forget this. If we were on our way out to dinner, maybe I'd get all "fresh-looking." But at home, he'd be lucky if I hadn't already put on sweats and tied my hair into a messy bun by the time he arrived. And if he's home first, I'd be surprised if he was wearing pants when I got in. Still, I wonder if we both greeted each other at home "refreshed" - would that make a difference in our happy home? Couldn't hurt to try!

Step 3
Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift, and one of your duties is to provide it.

I like to think that I'm the type of person who doesn't need to be "a little more interesting". However, we do like to take turns telling each other about our day, and we usually find that we can laugh away the big worries and focus on the important things together - offer solutions to difficult situations or just a shoulder to cry on.

I don't think this is all garbage. It just needs to be updated slightly and customized for me.

How about:
  1. Try to plan meals for the week in advance. Simplify them to make evenings easier. (This step is going to be one long journey into meal preparation and kitchen efficiency.)
  2. Try to look presentable when you each arrive home. (Wearing pants is preferable.)
  3. Talk about your day with each other. (A great time for this would be while out for a walk or having dinner.)
Over the next few days, I'll explore more of the guide and hopefully find some more ideas for a happy home and life order!

No comments: