Where do I Begin? If you want, you can start with the first post. Once there, read through the blog by clicking "Newer Post".

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Dessert

I just realized something... as I finished eating my lunch. Every time I eat a meal, besides breakfast, I feel like I want dessert. And not only want, but deserve it. Why?

All I did was eat a sandwich. This must be left over from Mom's "If you eat your peas, you can have a cookie..." days.

This raises a big question for me - Does our generation feel more entitled to things we haven't really earned? I used to be able to watch TV but only after I finished my homework. Then as I became an adult, I learned very quickly that I didn't have to earn some things at all - that I could just instantly reward myself. It almost feels like I'm rebelling against my parents' reward system. Or worse - their strong work ethic.

What does this mean for the challenges I'll face implementing my routine? Will I give up if I'm not immediately rewarded for my efforts?

My hope is that the "reward" happens on a much larger scale, and that we fall into a routine that just naturally makes our lives better and gives us the time we need to do everything we want to do.

It's empowering to think that I can create that. I'm going to eat my cookie and think about it some more.

No comments: