Where do I Begin? If you want, you can start with the first post. Once there, read through the blog by clicking "Newer Post".

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Yum!

So my busy weekend left no time for grocery shopping, but I promised myself I would cook out of that cookbook this week, so I went last night! The great thing about it is that it lists menus for a 5-day week.

Each recipe makes at least 4 servings, so for just 2 of us, I decided to make 3 meals and plan on eating leftovers the other nights of the week.

On the menu for the week:
Monday- Salmon with Fruit Salsa
Wednesday- Zucchini Frittata
Friday- Chicken & Carrot Casserole

So last night was the salmon night! I've never made it before and was really nervous. I went to the fish counter and told the woman I had never made fish before and was having some anxiety about it. She was very supportive and explained how to cook it, and told me that a lot of people feel the same way. The higher-quality salmon was on sale too, so I decided to give it a try! It was like fate.

I bought some chicken too, carrots, and egg substitute for the frittata (shh, don't tell Mark!).

The hardest part of the salmon recipe was cutting up the onion, peach, and avocado to make the fruit salsa, but it was worth it, because everything else was a breeze!


I laid the salmon in the skillet (meat down, scales up) and cooked it on 250 degrees for 10 full minutes. The recipe calls for baking it or grilling it, but we live in an apartment, the oven's broken, and the skillet worked just fine! I was so excited to be cooking salmon!!

It was at that exact moment that my fish-despising husband came in the door. He was thrilled to see me making dinner, and said, "Ooh, you're making dinner! The neighbors must be cooking fish or something..." He proceeded to make some loud barfing noises, while I laughed and later responded, "Actually, that's what I'm making."

He was open minded, though! And he loved the meal! Salmon is so mild anyway. I'm really proud of myself for trying something new and even though I'm only on meal 1, I'm thrilled with this cookbook and have high hopes for future meals. The recipes go well together, and I can use leftover salsa from the salmon meal in the frittata or leftover rice throughout the week in other meals. So far, so good!

No comments: